Monday, August 13, 2007

Blow Up Blow out




.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Is this an example
of spooky pre-halloween
synchronistic connections?
Or just random coincidence
You decide.

In June I took photos of an open water swim session for people new to the experience. Some were anxious, needing encouragment by the coaches to enter the water. It was not until several days later that I examined the photos closely and noticed that one swimmer had been encouraged rather strongly by the application of a surf board to her bottom. Accident? I don't think so, but we will never know for sure. My discovery of the crime 'hidden' in the unmagnified photo made me think of the film 'Blow Up.' In it a photographer sees evidence of a murder in enlargements of photos he has taken. As in my photo only the crime is clearly seen, not the criminal's identity. ( Who was wielding the surfboard?) I saw the film at the Shady Oak Theatre, I think in 1966 or 67.. Black and white and strange! Not your average fare. It made an impression. A few days before the open water swim episode I had also seen "Blow Out' on cable- a take off on the 'Blow Up idea.' In it John Travolta's character discovers evidence of a murder in a sound recording he has made. The surf board crime caught on film set me to thinking of these earlier movies.

Now here is the spooky part. Ready?... OK. The very next day after noticing the photos and thinking back on the movies, who dies but Michaelangelo Antonioni director of 'Blow Up'. What do you think? Time to found a religion?